This house represents the 1840s when porters Row (built 1833) was still quite new. By modern standards is seems very basic, with no gas or electricity and no running water.
Light is obtained by candles or oil lamps, with the open hearth grates in both the kitchen and parlour used for heating and cooking. Water was obtained from a pump on Primrose Hill, on the far side of the lower basin. There was no toilet, but an earth closet behind the houses served the entire street.
Despite the lack of basic services a house such as this would have been regarded as a comfortable working class dwelling of the time.